Friday 2 August 2013

Being 50, Big when I was Little.

   There's quite a catchy little tune on the wireless at the moment sung by Eliza Doolittle, ' Big when I was Little.'
I thought it had something to do with how big 'Wagon-wheels' were, or did my hands just get bigger, that sort of thing...
Quickly I was set straight.
Ohhhhh, what was popular!
I grew up in the 60's & 70's, which leaves me at the mercy of memories that swell and threaten to take over my sensitive relationship I have with real time.
 
   Big when I was little,
from my earliest memories, was being desperate for a Mustang push bike with a banana seat.
It totally happened!
A shiny green number with tassel flowing from the handle bars. Learning to ride, crashing and burning, getting back on and crashing again in a more spectacular way than before. Wearing my skinny flares that I grew out of way too soon.
   My cousin always had the latest and greatest stuff that a kid could potentially cause crippling injuries if you didn't use it properly.
Properly in the eyes of a kid, is finally being able to push the boundaries of the intended amusements.
I'm delighted the 'Space Hopper' made a come back... Down hill races on those...
'Clackers', were terrifying, because you had to keep-up and avoid shattering your own wrists!
Water pistols at close range could cause temporary blindness while you made good your getaway.
Skipping ropes quickly wore out their intended use in favour of 'reins for a horse, if you could get someone to be your horse, or reins on your Mustang...horse!
Skateboard skiing behind the 'Mustang'. The sissy bar behind the banana seat was for your passenger to hang on to and also to tie skipping ropes.
'Jack-in-the-box'. How completely mind altering and terrifying did you find them?
I blame my life long nervous disposition on that particular...um, toy.
What psychopath was allowed to patented that idea?
I began that morbid exploration of pre-thrill seeking. What element of my life did I feel was missing that the Jack-in-the-box seemed to replace?
Hate is not a strong word for that particular toy and their makers.
 
   Food.
I use that term loosely, I should probably say; things we were available for human consumption.
I see the chemistry technicians at work mix chemicals in large flasks. That reminds me of the powdered drink that Mum would mix in a jug with a cup of sugar and tell us not to come back until it wore off!
Kidding aside. People dyed their hair purple with the grape flavour.
The orange juice powder that was famed for the same that the astronauts drank in space in I'm guessing Apollo 11or 13.
I suspected what was ok in space, would have to be reassessed for consumption on earth...by young children...with Clackers riding Space hoppers.
Cereal: Mum was always very keen to get us to eat Granny's homemade granola. I had a bad experience with raisin bran, that has lasted.
Winney -the-Pooh cereal, Banana Bunch, Capt'n Crunch, Honey Comb, Lucky Charms and lastly Fruit Loops.
I recently purchased a box of Fruit Loops for the end of term treat...
They are not made with the high octane rubbish of years gone by. They're not as sweet and the colourings are of natural origin.
 
   So here I sit in my 60's style smock, having popped my vitamins, will then wrestle the youngest for the last Pop Tart and settle down to watch Herbie Love Bug!
I think if you wanted to add your "Big When I Was Little" that would be 'Neat-o'! Love Val x

No comments:

Post a Comment