Thursday 3 May 2012

A Nation of Hypocrites

   I have almost let the week run out again, I was looking for a little inspiration in my almost expired weekly R.T.
The publication has not let me down.
A debate has arisen between Chris Packham and Janice Turner on the touchy subject of urban foxes.
I applaud both for expressing their unyielding opinions.
   My question, based on all I have observed on the wiley critter is; what makes them so different from us as an opportunistic creature?
We both have the instinct to make our lives as comfortable as we can manage, to provide for our cubs, and to keep ourselves in one piece whilst doing so. Is that so wrong???
I have to however side with Chris Packham, in his attitude towards the creature.
I feel the fox has been depicted as sly and savagely selfish by our authors of childrens' tales.
    As we encroach on the environment that they depend on, they are driven to unusual and inconvenient mischief in order to raise a family.
They will continue to be apart of our lives in this disagreeable way unless we take precautions.
Where I come from, people have to take precautions, so the same thing doesn't happen with raccoons and bears.
Just what do you think the carnage would be like if you don't close the lid on the bear-proof bins?
By the way, raccoons are not cute. They're huge!
Bears are volatile. Also, huge!
Foxes fall into pretty much the same category. Not so big though.
As much as I'd like to keep chickens, I can't.
We live in a high risk/ high probability area of seeing or having our dogs rolling in blinding bliss in their tar-like poo.
   I have heard their manic mating cries in the summer that resonate around the neighbourhood.
If screaming roosters could bark, that's what it reminds me of.
Other times, we have been treated to a rare observation of our four legged canines at their best.
Illusive, keeping to the shadows.
Tearing with unbridled thrill and passion at being alive in the sheer joy of running full pelt across a frozen field.
Creeping wearily into a back garden and curling up where the snow does not fall, or where the wind does not blow, under a huge conifer. The timid and cautious male and female take turns to rest.
It seemed I was intruding on a very intimate moment between them.
I have also seen a fox in it's decomposing worst.
I wouldn't like to speculate what happened there.
If the creature was poisoned, what else would be effected?
The amazing kites that have graced us with their presence? Or anything else that eat carrion?
   Hmmm, we think we're so smart and righteous in all that we do, without a lot of consideration on how we effect others.
   God did not give us wildlife for our general amusement and relaxation. He did not create the natural world around us, so we could tear it down and have our wicked way with concrete in our  defining feature of good and bad.
God created the beasts of the air and of the land and of the sea, because together we would be able to share His earth.
In the beginning, before Adam and Eve were driven from the garden, they did not eat meat.
So animals and other creatures keep this land we enjoy ticking over in the cycle of life as God intended.
   So just think about that the next time you can't close the lid on your bin full of food past the 'use by' dates.
Love Val x

No comments:

Post a Comment